All rights reserved by planetjune/Flickr
For us in south Florida, it’s spring. We’re already transitioning from heavy moisturizers and full-coverage foundation to cosmetics that can survive 90%-plus humidity. We know the rest of the country has weeks and perhaps months (with this astounding winter weather) to even think “spring,” but whether it’s still wishful thinking or you’re somewhere that the temperatures are starting to climb, we have some suggestions for the vanity and your makeup bag that will make you feel fresh as the proverbial daisy.
Luka Siren Eyes Mineral Mascara
1. A New Mascara – Three month, ladies. That’s the amount of time the experts say you should use a mascara before abandoning it for hygienic purposes. While it may be tempting to grab one of the scads of drugstore brands that all have those plastic finger-like brushes, Katherine finds they lay down way too much product on the first pass, making a mess and often necessitating a do-over. Also, we are simply partial to Luka’s Siren Eyes, Mascara, because we prefer a dense spooley wand and the mineral pigment base, which does not flake or irritate.
Luka's First Blush Cheek & Lip Tint
2. A Creamy Cheek & Lip Tint – Spring is the time for sheerer textures and brighter colors. Luka’s First Blush Cheek & Lip Tint comes in six mouth-watering shades from Pink Grapefruit to Guava, all with a satiny — but not metallic or shimmery — finish, and can be layered for as much or as little color as you want. Plus, cream blush and dust of translucent powder on top to set literally lasts all day. If you’re doing of wash of color in varying intensities, apply it to the apples of your cheeks, then pat First Blush into your lips with your pinkie finger or apply with a lip brush for a sheer, creamy lip, or top with gloss for a beautiful see-through shine.
L'Oreal's EverSleek System
3. Shampoo and Conditioner – For us, anything but the week or two of “winter” – where we might have 60% humidity and temperatures below 50 – requires vigilant frizz control measures. Promising 48-hour frizz control without the uses of silicones, try L’Oreal EverSleek Sulfate-Free Smoothing System (Shampoo, Conditioner, Deep Conditioner, Frizz-Taming Crème Serum, and Humidity Defying Leave-In Crème). Most smoothing products contain large amount of silicones that can weigh hair down, build up over time, or if you use too much product, leave you a sticky mess. EverSleek is made with natural oils, particularly Argan and Sunflower oils, so your hair stays weightlessly sleek even in high humidity. We like!
Luka's Nearly Naked Tinted Moisturizer
4. A New Foundation – Spring is traditionally when we move from full-coverage, creamy foundation to a lighter, sheerer formula that can withstand the heat. Also, as we are slowly exposed to the sun again, we’re likely to need a different shade than our winter choices. Unless you need a heavy foundation to cover birthmarks, rosacea, or post-treatment/post-op bruising, you can retire your full coverage foundation, unless you wish to continue using it as a spot concealer for under-eye circles.
Luka's Velvet Perfecter Cream-to-Powder
We switch to liquid and oil-free foundations here in the tropics, or just a tinted moisturizer with an SPF so that we’re not laying on so many products that we break a sweat before leaving the house. Luka’s Nearly Naked is a great tinted moisturizer that uses titanium dioxide as its physical sunscreen, so it’s gentle and non-irritating. We also have Velvet Perfecter Mineral Cream-to-Powder Foundation with good UV protection and can be used alone or as a base foundation you may set with our Smooth Touch Pressed Minerals. Smooth Touch is also a pick for your summer foundation, as it can be used wet or dry and is great for oilier skins. None of Luka’s foundations contains fragrance, talc, or bismuth oxychloride.
Luka's Wing It! Gel Eyeliner in Tidal Wave
5. Gel Eyeliners – We saw it and commented on it during our Fashion Week blogs – bright pops of aqua, green, amethyst, and blue eyeliner, as well as some very structured black cat’s eye and winged liner. When you’re playing with colors this intense, the last thing you want is your eyeliner smudging and giving you neon raccoon eyes before the day’s end. Luka’s Wing It! Gel Eye Liner is a long-wearing, waterproof formula that will stay in its place from morning till evening, and we have 14 shades from the most intense black to the brightest greens, blues, aquas, purples, and much more.
Orange Nail Polishes
Chanel's Limited Edition Mimosa Nail Lacquer
6. New Nail Colors — Spring trends include a limited-edition Chanel polish in bright yellow Mimosa; deep green in opaque and shimmer finishes (Estee Lauder’s Wicked Green is the former, Chanel’s Black Pearl the latter); an orange-red on slightly longer, almond-shaped nails — a la Mad Men – rather than the modern short “squoval” appropriate for dark colors — Nails Inc. in Porchester Place, Illamasqua’s Gamma, and OPI’s Y’all Come Back, Ya’ Hear?.
Deep green polishes from Chanel and Estee Lauder
Other trends include pearly or silvery white (try it on your toes with dark or bright polish on the fingernails) from Chanel’s Pearl Drop, MAC’s Frayed to Order, or Essie’s Kisses and Bises; pale lavender-to-lilac shades like Lancome’s Violet Groove, Rescue Beauty Lounge’s Insouciant, or Tracy Reese for Sally Hansen in Delphinium.
Lilacs for Spring
And finally, hot pink: Sonia Kashuk’s Jammin, YSL’s #19 Fuchsia Pink, or Rimmel London in Posh Pink. OPI’s “Texas” collection for spring has nearly every one of these trends covered.
7. Facial Scrubs – We’re loving some Olay products after years of avoiding drug store skincare, having finally found two face scrubs without ingredients we avoid (harsh scrub particles, silicones, and parabens, just to start) and a device that promises to deliver the same kind of mega-cleaning and product-penetration prep that the very expensive Clairsonic promises.
Olay Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System
Olay’s Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System contains said device and Olay Pro-X Renewal Cleanser, which has super-fine and uniform crystals for deeper exfoliation. We’ve been using this system at night before applying our retinols or glycolics.
Olay Regenerist Thermo Peel
In the morning, we start our day with Olay Regenerist Advanced Anti-Aging Thermal Mini-Peel Daily Treatment with Glycolic Acid and Micro-Crystal Complex (say that without having to pause for a breath!). It’s a happy shade of purple, it heats up when you add water and cleanse your skin with it, and it makes for a perfectly flake-free canvas on which to apply your makeup.
Luka's Divine Shine Mineral Lipstick
8. New Spring Lipsticks and Glosses — Mango, Watermelon, Orchid Pink, and Rose Gold are all trending for spring lip colors – whether traditional lipstick or gloss. The look is either a bright pop of color on the lips with the rest of the face relatively natural, or as in the case of Rose-Gold, an all-over look from eyeshadow to cheek color to the lips, in various intensities. You’ll find all of these yummy colors in Luka’s Divine Shine Lipstick and Pucker Up Lip Glosses.
Luka's Pucker Up Green Tea Lip Gloss
9. A Brow Tint/Wax – After the awful bleached-brow look we saw on various runways, we were highly relieved to see the contrast of natural-looking brows at other shows. Regardless of the brow shape and thickness you choose, grooming and filling them in is a must for a finished face, especially if your only other eye makeup is mascara.
Luka's Arch & Angle Brow Tint/Wax
Luka’s Arch & Angle Brow Tint is long-lasting and water-resistant, keeping your brows in check (and on your face) all day. If your brows are totally au natural and out-of-control, spring for a professional brow shaping. You can then follow the lines created by your brow specialist and maintain the look yourself with a good pair of tweezers, and only the occasional visit to get them re-shaped if you lose the battle.
10. A New Scent: Some of us have signature scents we wear no matter what – and even when we cheat, we always come back. But there are so many amazing fragrances out there, why not have a signature scent for every season?
Katherine's Spring Scent
Spring is traditionally the time to put away your Orientals and musks for more floral or green scents. Katherine’s road-testing Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau So Fresh Eau de Toilette, a lighter version of the original’s juicy pear and grapefruit, topping off violet, rose and cedar mid- and bottom-notes.
Kelly's "Spring" Scent
Kel’s working Tom Ford’s White Patchouli, which for her IS a more spring-like scent, since she tends to wear very earthy scents from Aveda and Comptoir Sud Pacifique, including Aveda Man and L’Eau de Governeur Homme, both men’s fragrances. So, consider this her trying for a bit more femininity.
Have a gorgeous week!